This excerpt is from a travel guide to Down East published in The State newspaper dated September 13, 1947. The wooden Earl C. Davis Memorial Bridge, seen here, was built around 1940. Up until then, residents and visitors could only access the island by ferry or private vessel.
Take a look at the full article on the NC digital archives website. The story starts at “image 118.”