Fire Claims Spouter Inn Restaurant, Shops, Several Apartments

0
3480

A fire broke out at the Spouter Inn on Front Street in Beaufort around 5 am this morning. As of 9 am the fire was still active.

No one was at the restaurant, but at least five people who lived in the adjacent apartments were home at the time and were able to evacuate safely.

The entire building is damaged beyond repair.

Advertisement

Phyllis Summerlin lived in one of the apartments and owned Sweet Lilly Ru, a store in the building.

“That was my livelihood. That was my baby,” she said.

VIDEO

Several fire departments responded, including Beaufort, Morehead City, North River, Otway, Marshallberg, Atlantic Beach, Pine Knoll Shores, and Broad & Gales Creek. Beaufort police and EMS are also on site.

Correction: Summerlin’s store was called Sweet Lilly Ru, not Sweet Lily Rose. We regret the error.

Advertisement