This article will be updated as new information comes to light. If you share on Facebook, you can go back to the same link to check for updates. The newest information is in bold.
This article was updated at 12 pm Wednesday, Sept. 4. Submit your closings, cancellations or other information to [email protected] or text 252-732-0828, be sure to include your name and affiliation with the info you’re sharing.
- Carteret County Solid Waste Convenience sites will open tomorrow, Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 7:00 AM instead of the normal Wednesday schedule of 2:00 PM. Sites will close at 6 pm until further notice.
- The county Emergency Operations Center will remain staffed continuously until Hurricane Dorian no longer poses a threat to Carteret County.
- A curfew goes into effect for the Town of Beaufort from sunset to sunrise beginning on Thursday, Sept. 5, 2019 to remain in effect until modified or rescinded.
- Check the DOT travel page for live travel info: https://tims.ncdot.gov/tims/
- The Emerald Isle bridge will be closed at 10 am Thursday until further notice
Closings & Cancellations
- County solid waste sites will close at 6 pm Wednesday. An announcement will be made ahead of reopening. Sites will be open 7 am – 6 pm Wednesday.
- Be aware that many businesses are closing early Wednesday
- Carteret County Public Schools are closed Wednesday through Friday
- St. Egbert will follow CCPS schedule
- Tiller School will be closed Wednesday through Friday
- CCC will be closed to students beginning Wednesday until further notice. It will be closed to employees from noon Wednesday under further notice.
- One-stop voting ended Wednesday at 11:30 am. The Sept. 10 election will go on as planned.
- Carteret County offices will close Wednesday at noon
- Town of Beaufort will be closed until further notice
- Down East and areas north of East Carteret are under a mandatory evacuation as of Wednesday, Sept. 4 at noon
- Beaufort is under a mandatory evacuation as of 3 pm Tuesday. There is no need for re-entry papers.
- The rest of the county is under a voluntary evacuation
- Bogue Banks has issued a mandatory evacuation for Wednesday, Sept. 4 at 8 am. Residents should be in a safe place by 10 am Thursday.
- A shelter will open at Newport Middle School at NOON Wednesday. The shelter is pet-friendly for cats and dogs only. Only pets up to date on their rabies vaccination will be accepted. Residents bringing their cats or dogs will need to bring a kennel/crate, food and water for several days, food and water dishes, leash (you are responsible for walking your pet), medications, and toys or other comfort care items.
- If going to a shelter, bring the items listed in this article
- Carteret General Hospital operates a shelter for persons who are medically fragile at the Leon Mann Enrichment Center. This facility is located at 3820 Galantis St., Morehead City
- Residents can call Carteret County Area Transportation System (CCATS) at 252-732-0825 to schedule transportation to the shelter.
- There are shelters open outside of the county. Visit readync.gov for listings.
Watches & Warnings
- Hurricane Warning issued for our area at 11 am Wednesday
- Storm Surge Warning issued at 11 am Wednesday
- Flash Flood watch issued until 8 pm Friday
- From US Coast Guard: Stay off the water. The Coast Guard’s search and rescue capabilities degrade as storm conditions strengthen. This means help could be delayed. Boaters should heed weather watches, warnings, and small craft advisories.