The N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission will meet Feb. 19-21 at the New Bern Riverfront Convention Center, 203 South Front St., New Bern.
The meeting will begin at 6 pm Wednesday, Feb. 19, 8:30 am Thursday, Feb. 20, and 9 am Friday, Feb. 21. View the agenda and other meeting materials here.
Public comment periods are scheduled to begin at 6 pm Feb. 19 and at 8:30 am Feb. 20. Members of the public may speak to the commission on any fisheries-related topic. Those making comments will be asked to speak only once, not during both public comment periods.
The public may listen to the meeting online. Up to 200 participants may listen to audio and view presentations in real-time on a first-come, first-served basis. Directions for participating in the webcast, including information on system requirements and testing, can be found here. Following the meeting, an audio recording will be posted online.
The meeting agenda includes the following votes:
- Final adoption of the Blue Crab Fishery Management Plan Amendment 3
- Approval of the goal and objectives for amendments for two fishery management plans
- The Southern Flounder Fishery Management Plan Amendment 3
- The Shrimp Fishery Management Plan Amendment 2
Approval of proposed language to prepare for rulemaking pertaining to
- The Shrimp Fishery Management Plan Amendment 1 Special Secondary Nursery Area Issue Paper
- Addressing user conflicts for shellfish leases
- Final adoption of proposed amendments to two rules
- Amend 15A NCAC 03M.0509 to prohibit possession of tarpon and make it illegal to gaff, spear, or puncture tarpon by any method other than hook and line
- Amend 15A NCAC 03O.0108 to clarify the circumstances under which transfers of Standard Commercial Fishing Licenses are allowed
The agenda also includes:
- Potential action to begin rulemaking for small mesh gill nets
- Receiving a presentation on using circle hooks and bent barbed treble hooks to reduce discard mortality in catch-and-release fishing
- Potential action to begin the process to implement recreational hook and line rule modifications