This story will be updated throughout the evening.
Updated 9:23 pm:
Beaufort Commissioners John Hagle, Sharon Harker and Marianna Hollinshed won their seats back for another term in today’s election.
Mayor Rett Newton, who ran unopposed, will serve a second term.
The three incumbent commissioners had two challengers: Beaufort Historic Preservation Commission member Heather Poling and former county Democratic Party Chair Kenneth Humphrey.
Final Election Results for Beaufort
- Rett Newton – 510 votes, 96.05 percent
- Write-in – 21 votes, 3.95 percent
- Sharon Harker – 487 votes, 30.82 percent
- Marianna Hollinshed – 383 votes, 24.24 percent
- John Hagle – 367 votes, 23.23 percent
- Heather Poling – 200 votes, 12.66 percent
- Kenneth Humphrey – 136 votes, 8.61 percent
- Write-in – 7, .44 percent
Early and one-stop voting results for the 2019 election have been tabulated, and the three incumbents running for re-election to the Beaufort Board of Commissioners are in the lead.
Final results will be available later this evening.
Early voting results for town commissioners are as follows:
- John Hagle – 171 (Incumbent)
- Sharon Harker – 231 (Incumbent)
- Marianna Hollinshed – 182 (Incumbent)
- Kenneth Humphrey – 70
- Heather Poling – 97
There were five votes for write-in candiates.
Current Beaufort mayor, Rett Newton, ran unopposed and is the presumed winner of that election. Newton took 236 early votes, and there were 14 write-in votes.
Ten other Carteret municipalities also went to the polls today. Results of those races will be reported as soon as final numbers are available.