The Beaufort Board of Commissioner will hold a special meeting at 4 pm today, Monday March 16, at the Train Depot.
The commissioners will discuss securing funding and awarding bids for a $6 million street and pedestrian improvements project, followed by discussion on COVID-19. Read the entire agenda here.
The town has removed chairs from the board room to allow for a 6-foot social distance buffer to cut down the likelihood of person to person contact. However, town staff urge residents to watch the meeting on Facebook instead of in person.
The street improvements project on the agenda is a small project being undertaken separately from the much larger utilities and roads project that is currently in the preliminary engineering stage.
Six lane-miles of road will be rehabilitated or resurfaced, including one block of under-street storm water, water and sewer lines. Streets to be rehabilitated are below:
The project also includes construction or rehabilitation of sidewalks in various parts of town. The most extensive sidewalk projects are:
- Cedar Street, from Fulford St. to Randolph Johnson Park
- Yaupon Street, from Carteret Ave. to Ann St.
- Carteret Avenue, from Lennoxville Rd. to Rick’s Ave
- Rick’s Avenue, from 3rd St. to Sherwood Blvd.
- Live Oak Street, from Mulberry St. to Circle Drive North
- Eastern Ave, from Wellons Dr. to terminus
Many smaller segments join those above. See the entire list of sidewalk projects below: